Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry Orange bar
Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry
Register now

Construction contractor registration

Already have an ICEC? 
Here is how the new contractor registration may affect you:

An individual who seeks to be treated as an independent contractor must either have a current independent contractor exemption certificate (ICEC) or must register with DLI (or be exempt from registration).

Although the new law repeals some aspects of the ICEC law, your existing ICEC is still valid until its expiration date. When your ICEC expiration date comes up, you must register rather than renew your ICEC if you intend to provide building construction or improvement services in Minnesota.

Regardless of whether you have an ICEC or you register, you cannot legally be treated as independent contractor unless you also meet the nine-factor test in existing law.

Failure to register and meet the nine-factor test will result in your being deemed an employee of the contractor for whom you are providing construction services.

Register nowContact information

DLI home page | Directions and maps | News and media | Website disclaimer